Arum accepts De La Hoya apology

Photo by Kevork Djansezian, AP
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has accepted the public apology of Oscar De La Hoya and experts feel this could pave the way for the return to action of WBC/WBO bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire Jr.
“I accept De La Hoya’s apology and am grateful for it,” Arum told the Inquirer Thursday.
De La Hoya, who had clashed with Arum over promotional issues in the past, issued the apology in his Twitter account while undergoing rehabilitation for substance abuse.
He also apologized to Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao, who had filed a case in court against De La Hoya, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and his father Floyd Sr. over claims that Pacquiao was on performance-enhancing drugs.
“I would like to humbly apologize for any pain I have caused to you and your family,” De La Hoya told Arum. “I also want to apologize to Manny Pacquiao for any wrongdoing in my part. You are a great champion.”
Donaire’s planned unification fight on May 28 against WBA champion Anselmo Moreno was scuttled after Donaire signed up with De La Hoya’s GBP, claiming a breach of contract by Top Rank for failing to give him three fights a year under their agreement.
Arum explained, however, that Donaire had been suspended for postfight injuries on two occasions and there was no way Top Rank could keep its three-fight-a-year commitment.
Arum hinted at a resolution of the Donaire case, which is being handled by former judge Daniel Weinstein who arbitrates the issue.
“I think we’ll probably see that (a resolution) by next week,” Arum said.

No comments:

Post a Comment