Arum still waiting for Donaire


SAN FRANCISCO — Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum is still hopeful that Filipino renegade fighter Nonito Donaire would come to his senses and rekindle his love affair with Top Rank.
"We're still waiting for him," said Arum from his Beverly Hills home, sounding a bit optimistic that Donaire would still fulfill his obligations with Top Rank.
Arum had penciled a May 28 fight for Donaire but the rising world bantamweight king suddenly bolted Top Rank and signed with the Oscar De La Hoya-owned Golden Boy Promotions after alleging that his contract with the Las Vegas-based outfit had already lapsed.
But Arum said his company remains the rightful holder of Donaire's promotional rights owing to an automatic extension of their partnership stemming from the boxer's medical suspension.
Arum had promised Donaire a hefty paycheck of $500,000 for the May fight but was astounded when informed that the heavy-handed Bay Area-based Donaire had hooked up with GBP.
Daniel Weinstein, a renowned retired judge, mediated in the Top Rank-GBP feud and later ruled that Donaire rightfully belongs to Top Rank.
Donaire became a hot property last February when he posted a smashing second-round knockout of Mexican toughie Fernando Montiel in a Top Rank show held in Las Vegas.
Comparisons to pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao could not be avoided following Donaire's brutal stoppage of Montiel that ringsiders were quick to say that he has what it takes to replace Pacquiao when the Pacman finally decides to walk away from the sport.
Donaire, who speaks fluent English, Filipino and Visayan, ranks high in everyone's pound-for-pound list.
Donaire reportedly wants out of Top Rank so he can fight away from the shadows of Pacquiao, who is the apple of Arum's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment